Mimi's Motorcycle Journal

Wandering Thoughts from a Moto Make Up Artista

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Harley Ad in American Iron

I stopped in a drug store on my walk to work this morning to pick up much needed chocolate for my afternoon fix. I also picked up American Iron to read Genevieve Schmitt's column. She's a woman I admire and I love what she's doing for women who ride. As I was turning the pages, I couldn't help but notice an advertisement for a Harley Halter, worn by a great looking model. It reads 'Give new meaning to "deer in headlights."' The copy underneath says "The gift that stops every man in his tracks." I mean, come on. This is sexism if I ever saw it. I know the biker lifestyle is very sexist, but this is degrading to women whether they are in the lifestyle or not. I'm surprised Harley would put out an ad like this. These days it seems like they're catering to women who are serious about riding and purchasing a bike, not being an ornament.

Don't get me wrong, I love wearing leather and feeling sexy. But for myself. There's a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home