Mimi's Motorcycle Journal

Wandering Thoughts from a Moto Make Up Artista

Monday, January 21, 2008

Simple Truths

Not too many things really bring tears to my eyes. Borrowed time, when a song brings you to a certain place that you are gone, but then again know where you are. A poem, a psalm. When someone phrases something so beautifully that your whole perspective on that topic changes.

I've been trying to find out some of my ancestry, before my Grand pa-pa came here from Italy. By the way, everyone from my Grandparents and before is from or is still in Italy. My Grandma, America, who I was named after, came here when she was only 16. All alone on a grueling boat, without knowing how to read or write. I received in the mail, pictures of the two boats my Grand pa-pa and my Grandma America came over on. I also received "the sign in sheets" before boarding the boat. I saw my Grand pa-pa's signature at 16 years old and then my Grandma America's signature. This is when I cryed. Since my Grandma didn't know how to read or write and you had to make a mark that you were entering, she put an X. Her name wasn't America at the time. She changed it when she got here. The rest is history. I am so proud of my heritage and how brave my Grandparents were to come to another country, learn the language and raise children. They loved this country and let everyone know. They're gone now, but I know I have that spirit they did. To get out and do what you need to do to make life better. To try new things.

The truth is, I never would have the opportunities I have if it weren't for them. I have a job, I can pay, well most of my bills, a car and my beloved bike. I don't think I would have this lifestyle and choices if I were in the part of Italy they were from.

It's so important to never forget where you're from. The next generation in my family will probably hear about their crazy aunt or cousin Mimi with her adventures in riding. I can only hope I influence one of these siblings to carry on this adventurous spirit.

Peace ~ Mimi

1 Comments:

  • At January 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Becky said...

    That story is really cool. Our ancestors were much tougher than we are, I think. I've done studies of my ancestry and it gives you a sense of who you are, beyond the here and now. Great blog.

    Bikerchickz

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home